Getting Coffee

Special Educational Needs and disability

Do you think your child might need additional support in school? Relocating to Cambridge with children who have SEND?

What are special educational needs?

Children learn at different speeds and in different ways. Children and Young People with a special educational need and or a disability (SEN or SEND) have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. They may have difficulties with:

  • Reading, writing, literacy and numeracy skills including number work or understanding information

  • Expressing themselves

  • Understanding what is being said to them

  • Understanding rules and routines

  • Following rules and routines

  • Making friends or playing with friends (social skills)

  • A medical condition

  • Sight or hearing

Before an EHCP can be applied for information needs to be collated from professionals, this could be:

  • Academic attainment

  • Development milestones

  • Rate of progress

  • Nature of the SEN

  • Additional support that has been given that is being given which is more than their peers

  • Action of the evidence already collected (following the assess, plan, do review process which has been completed for three cycles)

  • Evidence of the child or young person's physical, emotional, social development or health needs

  • Evidence from clinicians and health professionals and what has been done by the agencies to support the child or young person

This evidence is collated in a number of different formats: IEPs, Individual Education Care Plans, Behaviour plans, Student mentoring or support, reduced timetable, exclusions, reduced timetables, alternative provisions or half days for some of the week day.

Within a school setting there are several staff you might be working with, the SENDCO or SENCO, Assistant or Deputy Head, Head of year or a named member of staff who is responsible for the welfare or pastoral care of your child.

This person should be collating the information and compiling a report which should have an assess, plan, do review format. This evidence needs to be collated by them along with any health care or medical professionals (GP, nurse, EP, educational psychologist, physiotherapist, counselor, ADHD nurse, ASD, ASC, Autism or Autistic support). Your child could be getting support for their social and emotional mental health (SEMH) or behaviour, education and social support (BESM). This should be collated and shared in meetings which you could be attending. This is not a full list of needs for your child and the following needs should also be considered:

  • Sensory and/or physical need

  • Social, emotional and mental health (SEMH)

  • Cognition and learning